Monday, April 28, 2008

Casting my cares and anxieties

My blogging has been spotty of late. I have been incredibly busy... I'm always busy running after 7 kids, but lately it's been "busy on steroids". Last week was one of the worst weeks I've had in a few years. Break in at the house. Devastating news about one of my kids. Add to that the pressures of everyday life and I was burdened. I had anxieties. But it was different. I knew people were praying for me and I was praying too. I felt like I was lifted above all of the "junk".
Yesterday I got the privilege to speak to a nursing home in the community. I was running late from my 6th grade boys class and I walked in the community room where the residents meet. There they were, all in a circle...most in wheel chairs, some in mobile recliners, one with a walker. There is one lady who is sort of the "ring leader" of the bunch. She said that they were going to sing "their little song". I asked what it was and it was "Jesus Loves Me". I grinned and said that it was perfect. Little did they know that in my "sermon", I had used the reference to my boys singing their "new song". Priceless.
In the sermon I spoke about casting your burdens to the Lord, because He cares for you. Notice this isn't, "Um, excuse me, Lord...could you please, if you don't mind...could you carry this for me...I don't think I can handle this...it's too big." Nope...it's, "Lord, CATCH!!" Casting...throwing...or in some cases dumping. The Lord can take it and He will take our burdens. I have been working on the casting part...sometimes I like to handle the "Junk" and carry the burden...but I can't...at least not for long. My shoulders are only strong enough to carry it long enough to roll it over to Him.

Psalm 55: 22
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."

1 Peter 5:6-7
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love "Lord CATCH!"
That's classic!!!! And incredibly true.