Monday, April 14, 2008

God lets us let go when we're ready

I do a lot of thinking when I am driving. I drive a lot. I have 7 kids in 6 different schools and only one of them carpools. I was thinking about what one of our Student Pastors said at a recent Student Ministry Leader's meeting. He talked about the Samaritan woman at the well who Jesus spoke to (John 4). He talked about how we all have our "wells" and ultimately, Jesus needs to be our well.
I was thinking today about how I hold on to stuff. Things that may not be bad, but I still hold on to for comfort. Maybe it's a routine, money in my wallet, whatever... It reminded me of one of my kids from a while back. When he first came to us he was so hungry for a family. He loved being a part of our family. My wife and I had to leave for a training retreat and we were gone for two and a half days. He fell apart when we were gone. He was convinced that we were never coming back. The next time Robin and I had to go out of town, I gave him something to hold on to until I came back. I was in a fan club for a NASCAR driver at the time (he's no longer driving--he kinda stunk and got out of the sport!) . I gave him my "membership" card to hold on to while I was gone. He held on to it and when I talked to him over the phone, he was holding it, hoping I would return. I came back and he gave it back to me. This went on for about a year. Then it happened...one trip was coming up and he didn't ask to hold on to anything. He knew we would return.
Doesn't God do that with us? He lets us hold on to stuff...as long as it's not harmful to us. And sure enough, when we're ready, we let go of what we're holding on to. So if you're holding on to stuff, maybe it's time to let it go. You can always trust in God...He'll always show up when He's supposed to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is all good stuff! So glad you're writing and "publishing"!

Love the fan club card -- you gave him part of your identity until he could grasp his own in light of his relationship to you. That's a great parallel even if it is from NASCAR (and we all know what that stands for! haha! jk!)