Friday, April 11, 2008

Happy Tears

I have only one comment on one entry--this has kind of bummed me out, but that's OK. This blogging thing has been sort of therapeutic for me.
The children in my home aren't my birth children. My wife and I have had 35 children in our home in almost 11 1/2 years. (Not 35 at the same time! The most we had at one time was 14) The "Happy Tears" story happened about 10 years ago.
One of our daughters was sitting with my wife...she was 11 or 12. She told Robin, "Mom, I didn't know I needed a bath every day until I got here." Then she asked my wife, "Mom, tell me about my first day here at home." Robin told her that she was so excited that her babies had come home...they maybe didn't come from a delivery room, but they came and they were beautiful. Our daughter came with two of her siblings and Robin went on to describe their first day. They had a picnic outside in a play house and Robin called one of her siblings "angel". This was a big deal because she had been called "demon child" for most of her life.
Our daughter started to cry. Robin said to her, "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to make you cry." Our daughter replied, "Oh Mama...Oh Mama! These are my first happy tears!!"
I am so thankful to God for allowing me to be a part of our kids' lives. People often ask us how we do what we do. To my wife and I it's no big deal...it's what God has called us to do. I'll try to share more stories if y'all don't mind.
Let me know if anyone is reading this stuff I'm writing!!

No comments: