Sunday, April 6, 2008

I need a restart button

Have you ever needed a restart button? You know, like the ones on handheld electronic devices. Lately I have been drifting away from God. I haven't been in the Word like I need to be. I'm over the guilt trips I used to get into when I missed some quiet times with God. I used to really beat myself up when I missed. I would think to myself, "You're such a heathen...there's no way that God could ever love you... you missed three days this week!" I'm glad God doesn't keep a quota on that kind of stuff. I think He just misses me. He genuinely wants to spend time with me. I know I need to spend time with Him...I sometimes cram my life with so much junk that I kinda push Him out.
Today in church I was thinking about the reset button. God gives us one...whenever we confess our sins (1 John 1:9) God gives us a reset button. He forgives us, cleanses us, and He resets our relationship with Him. The cool thing about God's reset button is that He doesn't erase any of the good stuff. Whenever you hit a reset button with electronic stuff everything is erased. With God, the good stuff remains and the bad stuff is gone. There may still be consequences for the bad stuff like strained or broken relationships, but the baggage can be dropped off and left behind.
I prayed today for the reset button. I need to start again....and I'll need the reset button again. But for now I'll just go on with a new start.

1 comment:

Prodigal Jon said...

great post. love the concept of a reset button. I can identify with that.